segunda-feira, setembro 22, 2003

TheFeature :: Flash Mobs: Just An Early Form Of Self-Organized Entertainment

TheFeature :: Flash Mobs: Just An Early Form Of Self-Organized Entertainment: "Almost every reporter who called about flash mobs wanted to know whether I thought the phenomenon was rather meaningless. After all, the flash mobs didn't do anything but amuse themselves. It was the way they said it. It was assumed that 'rather meaningless' is a serious condemnation, put-down, rebuttal. 'Of course, it's meaningless,' I would reply. And that gave me a springboard for noting that not only is there nothing wrong with having fun, but that there definitely is something wrong with a society when having fun is prohibited. 'Is it meaningful for a hundred thousand people to pay to sit in a stadium and watch men in tight pants kick a ball around a field?' I liked to add. I don't think this quote has ever failed to hit the cutting room floor, although I swear I've said it dozens of times to dozens of reporters."